- Posted by cindy
- On July 9, 2017
- 4 Comments
Unlike a lot of yarn crawls you might find in other parts of the country, the DFW Yarn Crawl is way, way more than just a trot around the city burning up your credit card. It’s more than just a few days of fondling shiny yarny things with your pals in the August heat. As awesome as all that would be for a yarn crawl experience, it’s just the tip of the iceberg here in DFW.
Since we first fired this rodeo up in 2012, the Crawl has continued to grow and develop into a virtual season of unique yarn experiences. This year, the list of associated goodies and events rolls out like a loose ball of handspun batted by a tom cat:
- We started in May with Stitch and Pitch, and we’ll do it again on the Yarn Crawl’s opening day, August 18. Local baseball, knitting, prizes, beer and hotdogs. ‘Nuff said.
- The Stitch Your Stash Competition runs for nearly 60 days, encouraging you to, and rewarding you for, using up some that bodacious stuff you’ve been hoarding since Fiber Fest.
- Then the Buffalo Wool Company tosses you an amazing picnic to celebrate your progress knocking down the stash a bit, on July 30. Last year about 70 folks enjoyed their hospitality and got an extra stamp on their passports as a bonus gift. No one knows exactly how much fun a knittah can have at the BWC shindig (records are made to be broken), but we’re going to find out.
- Eventzee, the online scavenger hunt, will liven up the Crawl again this year, with a new twist: TEAMS. Form a team of up to four people based out of your favorite participating shop to be eligible to win some really sweet prizes. (Hint: weekend at the Lakehouse sound like fun?) See your passport for a list of participating shops and independent artists. More details coming soon. Big thanks to our sponsor, McKnittey, for hosting Eventzee!
- The Dallas Hand Knitters Guild has brought one of our dreams to life — The Yarn Crawl Bus! This bus will take in half of the shops the first Saturday of the Crawl and then the other half of the shops on the second Saturday. All the details, and a way to sign up for the bus will be on their website soon. Only 40 folks can fit on the bus, so don’t delay if this option suits you.
- New this year: Shopkeeper Cards! At each shop, collect a free “shopkeeper card” with all of that shop’s vital info – phone number, address, shop hours, and a QR code linking to a Google map to their location. On the back of many of the cards, you’ll find a tiny knitting chart to help you think fondly of that shop. Collect them all, hole-punch them and put them on a ring on your project bag, and you’ve got the whole Crawl at your fingertips, all year long! Only 250 of each shop are available.
- Independent Artist Trunk Shows – what makes this feature unique is the quality of our local talent. Bring extra socks because yours are going to be knocked off by the amazing collection of our own indie designers and yarn dyers. Creative, professional, fashion conscious and trend leading… just wow.
- Speaking of Collections, we’re so very proud to offer the DFW Designer Collection, Volume 2 this year. This is a special set of knit-along patterns designed by a star-studded array of local designers, released every month between this Crawl and the next Crawl. Plus, we heard the cries of our crocheting friends, and there are also crochet patterns in this collection! Choose just the knit patterns, just the crochet patterns, or the MEGA Collection of all of the patterns. This year, our designers are offering beautifully illustrated, test-knit and tech-edited patterns that have never been seen before. This collection rivals any pattern bundle you’ll find anywhere. More info as we get closer to our official roll-out date of September 1.
- Just like last year, our hard core Road Warriors will earn themselves a free t-shirt, thanks to our friends at Stitches, Texas. This year’s t-shirt will feature another fun design by our friend Kris Barndt who understands the drive for yarn and our propensity to Cowgirl/boy UP. Get 16 stamps on your passport (BWC counts as one) and receive your shirt after the Crawl.
- Full yet? Don’t forget the FREE Stash Enhancement Container, AKA swag bag, the first 600 lucky crawlers will receive as we hit the trail for yarn and yarn accessories. Gotta keep those goodies where you can find them easily! Thank you, Fiber Lady, for making that happen!
- Eateries – well, we hit some snags on this project, but we’ll try again next year. We do have a list of restaurants that are convenient to our destinations, and these are recommendations only — please don’t ask them for free stuff. We’ll try again next year, because that’s how we roll.
So, you see, the DFW Yarn Crawl is out to show you a stinkin’ good time. All year long, in some ways. We want to help you find the treasures just waiting at the next shop. Stitch, eat, sleep, repeat. Anything we can do to help you live the dream like this, is our reason to exist. All this happens because of a tiny group of dedicated Wranglers, because we love you. And we never stop coming up with more ways to show you how much.
In the coming days here on the blog, I want to focus on some of these features and events in more detail, and I want to introduce you to some of our shop owners, indies, and sponsors, so that you can more fully appreciate all they do for you. Hope you’ll stop back by…
Let’s Crawl, Y’all!